Sunday 10 August 2008

be brave: standing on my head


Brave thing this week;
I approached a headstand with confidence and went up with ease. Yay! It's now back into my practice after a couple of years avoiding it, for fear of aggravating a neck injury. Conversely, headstands make your neck and shoulders strong and flexible. I feel I did the right thing using caution though.

I remember when I first began learning to do a headstand. I spent many a day trying (too hard) to master it, falling down backwards and forwards, going red in the face, feeling disoriented and dizzy. It took a lot of bravery back then to keep going back for more. For so long I just didn't get it and my ego didn't like this one bit! However, I persevered.

The day I achieved it was when I finally managed to string together all the elements required - breath, bravery, concentration, poise, balance & alignment, abdominal strength, letting go of ego and finally, grace. And like riding a bike, once you learn, you never forget.

Picture: journal page doodling, the middle awaits some writing.

4 comments:

  1. Congratulations! And it sounds like you did it correctly, listening to your inner-self and only proceeding when you were ready. What a wonderful accomplishment. WAY TO GO!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations, I remember doing these years ago against a wall but I have never tried a `freestanding' version :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isnt part of yoga learning to listen to and follow your own body and know what it needs and how far it can go in any pose without injury? Sounds like you are listening to you and bravo for that and for doing the pose. Bravo brave yogini.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, Patti I am impressed! And interested in how many things must work together to accomplish this. And in your example in perseverance. Love to you, O

    ReplyDelete

please share a thought......