Monday 13 July 2009

Sundays, Sleep & Scrumptious!


We wake at 4.30am most mornings at our place and to be honest, I am not one of those people who cope very well without a decent, uninterrupted chunk of sleep. Thank heavens for Sunday mornings!

We treated ourselves, turned off the alarm & deliberately slept in till 10am - it was bliss! I dreamed deeply of a large, dark-brown brick house, almost Tudor in style. It was not my house and was surrounded by a dense forest of beautiful trees. I can still smell the damp, earthy smells of layers of fallen leaves. It was so real, magical & peaceful all at the same time.

Well slept, I was in the mood for cooking the afternoon away. I made a chicken & tomato casserole for dinner and a flourless/gluten-free/dairy-free, Moist Orange & Poppy-Seed cake, which should come with a warning - it's scrumptious! The trick is to cook it till it's done (pulling away from the sides of the tin), yet remains moist.

You will need;

2 x Oranges - tops removed & scored with a cross (3cm or 1" deep)
6 x large (600g) eggs
250g caster sugar (
conversion here)
250g almond meal (
conversion here)
3 teaspoons gluten-free baking powder
2 teaspoons poppy-seeds

Place prepared oranges in boiling water & simmer for 50 mins. Remove and puree the entire orange (peel included) until smooth, in a food processor.

Pre heat oven to 160deg C (
farenheit here)

In a large mixing bowl, whisk eggs & sugar until light & fluffy. Add the almond meal & baking powder. Mix until combined.

Stir in the orange puree & poppy-seeds, then pour the mixture into a 22cm (8") cake tin, lined with baking paper.

Bake in oven for 40 mins, or until firm (may need to cook for up to 50 mins, depending on oven)

Leave to cool in the tin, then turn on to a wire rack.
(cake is suitable for freezing)


Enjoy!

5 comments:

  1. yum !
    Glad to know you had such a restful Sunday !
    Happy Dreams !

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've tasted this, and it is yummy; I think I had about three serves!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The cake looks super good, and I'm so glad to hear you had a nice long rest, especially with a lovely dream. I just cherish those good, vivid dreams so much, don't you? Thinking of you, O

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks and sounds yummy! I can't wait to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, wow, this looks so good. I am looking forward to being back in my own kitchen at the end of August so I can bake again!

    ReplyDelete

please share a thought......