Thursday 3 May 2007

What have I learned so far?


It is week one of my painting course and I have been researching colour and the origin of pigments on the internet, as well as doing some practical work with the colour wheel.

What have I learned so far?


Mars Black is a hip hop artist from Nebraska (!)

Orange or "naranj" is the Arabic word for orange and is derived from the Sanskrit word meaning "fruit approved by elephants". How cool that oranges are approved by elephants, what better recommendation!

Sitting in front of the computer for hours means Yoga is delicious afterwards.

Simply painting stripes of colour on oil sketch paper makes me happy.


And for those of you with an eagle eye - spot the pussy-cat paint paw print (top centre) in the photo above.

7 comments:

  1. HI Pat,
    Just thought I'd say I'd been here, while I was here listening to James Brown?

    I love the mixture of colour on those apples - it intrigues me how colour can be used - using colours I never would have thought of using to highlight, describe and enrich. I love colour too. My lounge at home is purple and bright blue not to mention one burnt orange and one choc brown lounge chair and bright blue curtains....

    ReplyDelete
  2. omg! You have GOT to get that kitty paw print in a little frame!
    This post makes me smile. I'm glad you're having fun with the art classes!
    It's good to know that elephants approve of my favourite colour!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. color, color, color - yes, we ARE the queens of color!

    kitty involved in the art process - i love it!

    ORANGE! Elephants! I feel a funky painting coming on!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I so love that elephants approve of oranges!

    Your post reminded me of the art class I took last year ...

    The nights I came home looking like a chimney sweep after playing with charcoal!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mind, Body & Spirit is on again 8-11 November in Sydney ... we could organise to meet!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Man, I wish I could hook up with you and Mich! So, been creating anything lately, my friend?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cool and groovy. I love the fact that you did such great research, I'm impressed, especially the elephants and kitty's contribution. You have definately GOt to get that framed, oh yes!

    ReplyDelete

please share a thought......