Monday 27 August 2007

Sacred Bees


This picture was taken of our verbena hedge this afternoon - 27deg C and a beautiful spring day. Because we haven't been too diligent with pruning the hedge, there are plenty of flowers this season and the bees absolutely love it. It is said to be good luck to have bees in your garden and I couldn't agree more. My garden is organic and all creatures are welcome in it, but I especially love bees, they make me smile and are definitely a sacred part of my gardening life.

Some Bee Folklore;

"Bees have often been regarded as wise and even holy insects, having foreknowledge as well as knowledge of many secret matters. In antiquity they were sometimes divine messengers, and their constant humming was believed to be a hymn of praise"

"the ancient Egyptians believed the bees sprang from the tears of the Sun god"

"Bees are symbolic of sexuality, chastity, fertility, purity and care. They are also considered to be an image of a human soul due to their natural ability to find their way home from great distances."

"A single bee or bumblebee entering a house means good luck, probably in the form of money."

A nursery riddle from the 16th century - and the answer is ?

Little bird of Paradise,
She works her work both neat and nice;
She pleases God, she pleases man,
She does the work that no man can.

6 comments:

  1. You have read THE SECRET LIFE OF BEES, yes? That one is still in my Top 10 of favorites. (Am I repeating myself? If so, pardon that.)

    What a fantastic photo ... and I love that you welcome all creatures into your garden. You are such a good soul.

    I have a family of frogs living in the fountain. VERY cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Who knew...a bee...simple and sacred. I too loved The Secret Life of Bees and The Mermaid Chair as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That pic is magical.
    And I didn't know all that stuff about bees.
    Here I thought they were just horrid little insects who hurt like a bugger when they sting.
    But I did know about honey, etc. lol
    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am simply fascinated by bees, I've always loved them.
    Beautiful photo...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love bees, they always look s fluffy as well as wise. I like to watch them, and try and spot those with pollen sacs on their legs - likle little yellow trousers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. all our honey bees are gone - mites. When I see a honey bee (once every other year or so) it is so magical! Who ever knew it would be that way?! Especially when I was going barefoot and getting stung every other week as a kid.

    ReplyDelete

please share a thought......