Thursday 19 May 2011

Story Boards

I have begun writing little stories again - very short prose, then painting the story on a 18" x 18" canvas.  These little stories I absoloutely love and are about angels, mermaids and dragons.  I tap directly into my childhood when I used to read all sorts of books with these magical themes.

One of my fondest childhood memories is of my mother loading me and my brother and sisters into the old Ford Station Wagon and driving us up to the local library.  We would be bathed and dressed in our pyjamas and then spend the evening reading and selecting books from the library shelves.  I loved going out at night and being cosy and warm inside the library.  And all those books!

So I write the story onto the canvas creating a little story board. I need to improve my lettering before I can consider them a success, still,  I'm having a ball creating them!

8 comments:

  1. I love the image of you in your pj's at the library. what a nice Mom. This is such a great idea, combining the story and the painting. They would make wonderful greeting cards too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "There were stories of Spirit.
    They were read with geat care.
    They were floating down stream like magnificent stars." - my poetry play this week seems like it was written for you...
    I love your Spirit Stories...

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are exploding with creativity Patti. I think that art school and your new villa, new job, etc. have invigorated your work. This is very exciting! xoO

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sweet sweet drawing and story; and I do love your childhood memory as it evoked my own of first time maybe age 12 going into the big downtown library in an old stone building up the long flight of stairs and seeing all those books and big heavy wooden tables and chairs and wondering how I would ever live long enough to read them all. The neighborhood library up the same street on which we lived was big stones too round ones and looked like a witches hut with pointed roof small and dark and damp but magical too with all it's books...dark inside.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this Angel, Patti. The writing is perfect for what you're doing. Try not to improve it :->

    ReplyDelete
  6. Patti I really, really like where's you're going with this...I just love the idea of combining a story (text) with a visual picture. I agree with Susie, that the writing is just perfect...it doesn't need any change and would be perfect as either a print or a greeting card.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful Patti and I love your latest gratitudes too :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This one looks wonderful and I would LOVE you to share a dragon one! Keep on being creative!!

    ReplyDelete

please share a thought......